Earth Day Challenge
- Celebrate Earth Day with neighbors and friends by volunteering to clean up your neighborhood park during the Earth Day Challenge! Assist with trash pickup, raking, weeding, removing sticks, and more. Event is on Earth Day, Saturday April 23, 2022. All ages are welcome to participate. Advanced registration is required for anyone 10 years and older: https://www.cityofmadison.com/calendar/earth-day-challenge-2022 Cleanups at most of the parks will be from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted on the registration page. Parks already full and with no volunteer openings are not listed.
Support a Utility Box Installation
- To help grow this popular community art project citywide, Friends of Madison Arts Commission developed a program to Support a Utility Box Installation in your neighborhood. In developing this program, the Madison Arts Commission intended this program to highlight, encourage and promote local artists by giving them exposure in the public realm. Artists are compensated $500 for a license of each image used in the program. This project’s funds will be used to pay artists and cover the costs of installing the art on utility boxes. Contributions of any size are welcome, but a $2,500 contribution will fully cover the cost of a box wrap in your neighborhood and a box in a neighborhood where there aren’t as many financial resources https://www.friendsofmadisonarts.org/.
Streets Division Updates
- New drop-off site hours and locations have begun! Be sure you know which sites are open and where they are before loading your vehicle. Get that information at www.cityofmadison.com/DropOffSites.
- Yard waste collection for the spring is wrapping up soon. Be sure you know when you should be setting out yard waste at www.cityofmadison.com/YardWaste.
- Brush collection is ongoing. Get the dates when you should be setting out brush at www.cityofmadison.com/BrushCollection.
- April is Earth Month! One easy way to celebrate is to be sure you’re recycling the right stuff. For example – just because it’s plastic doesn’t mean it goes into your recycling cart. Get the rules at www.cityofmadison.com/Recycling.
- You may have seen a news story or social media posting regarding a Resource Recovery Special Charge. This charge was part of the 2022 operating budget. It is designed to remove paying for recycling from the general fund and instead pay for that service via a special charge. The charge was created to free up budget space in the general fund to avoid cuts to all City services that rely on the general fund. The special charge is working its way through the Common Council process right now to create the ordinance and policy. As part of that process, a comprehensive presentation about the special charge was given to the Finance Committee on April 11. Here is a YouTube link to that presentation that discusses the charge so you can watch it, too.
Make Music Madison – Musician Registration!
- Make Music Madison is a free, citywide, outdoor day of music held annually on the summer solstice. Initiated in Madison in 2013, our festival is part of the larger Make Music Day, an international summer solstice music celebration occurring in 1,000+ cities across the globe. The 2021 event featured 312 concerts at 112 venues with over 1,000 individual musicians. Registration to perform or host a performance opens this month. Learn more at http://www.makemusicmadison.org/.
City of Madison Musician List
- Are you a local musician? Do you want to be part of the city’s musician list? Please contact Angela Puerta, City of Madison Planning Division, email@example.com